Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How to Adjust and Wear Your Ring Sling

When it comes to instructions on how to adjust and wear these, quite frankly, you need to be standing in front of me, with your baby.  Since I'm not inclined to publish my address...

...This lady has some wonderful videos on how to wear your baby.  I find that the width of this particular sling is great for the following positions.  I've never used it for any other kind so I'm not sure how well it works for those particular carries.  I would suggest, with any sling, making sure you have a  generous width of fabric to work with (buy something that is at least 60 inches wide so that when you cut it in half you will have a 30 inch width).

How to Adjust and Wear
for Tummy to Tummy Legs In (Younger Babies)
 Remember you should be able to monitor their breathing at all times. 
Wear them chest to chest!  Do not c-carry!  An infant with ther chin tucked to their chest (in a c-carry) cannot always maintain their airway and may suffocate. 

  
How to Adjust and Wear
for Tummy to Tummy Legs Out (Older babies)
(arms in, for comfort and security)
(arms out, for awake time and exploration)

How to Adjust and Wear for Hip Position (Older Babies)

In all positions, you should make sure that the band lays flat across your back.  Also make sure that the shoulder fabric (though folded in half) is fanned across your shoulder and not bunched up on top of your shoulder like a backpack.  This will provide better support for your baby and your back.  

Feel free to contact me with questions.  I had to mess around with my ring sling a bit to get it to work and I would suggest fitting it to you and a doll, stuffed animal, etc. before putting your baby in it.   

And please, use good judgement.  If your baby doesn't feel secure, they probably aren't. 
Tighten the top or bottom, and do not go "hands free" until they feel snug and secure.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment